Healthy Weight Gain: Everything To Watch Out For
Do you know that gaining weight can be much more difficult than losing weight? Those who want to gain weight, those who say that no matter what I eat but cannot gain weight, I’m sure they will understand me very well.
The basic mathematics of gaining weight and losing weight is actually based on the balance of calories taken and spent. However, while some individuals do not gain weight despite eating much more, the situation is the opposite for others.
So why do these changes in metabolism occur? There are many factors that affect metabolism, one of them is body type.
What Will We Learn?
Your Body Type May Be Preventing Weight Gain
The genes passed on to you from your parents play a role in your body type. We can divide the body types of individuals into 3: Ectomorph, mesomorph, and endomorph.
Knowing about your body type will help you gain or lose weight. At this point, when you have knowledge, it is possible to plan your nutrition programs and exercise programs according to your body type and apply them in the most suitable way for you.
Ectomorph Body Type
If you have this body type, you may look tall and thin. Usually, the muscle mass is less for this body type. If you have an ectomorph body type, you may experience difficulties in gaining weight and muscle, even if you pay attention to your exercise and nutrition. But don’t worry, weight gain can be achieved with the right diet and exercise.
Mesomorph Body Type
If you are a mesomorph body type, you can gain muscle more easily. In fact, your muscle ratio may be more than your fat ratio. At the same time, there may be an even appearance in the weight distribution in your body. Since you tend to lose weight more easily, you will not have too much trouble with eating. However, you can easily lose weight and gain weight easily.
Endomorph Body Type
In this body type, lower body muscle volume, higher body fat is seen. If you have an endomorph body type, you probably want to lose weight. The reason for this is that the metabolic rate is slower in the endomorph body type than in ectomorphs and mesomorphs. For this reason, they are often more sensitive to calorie intake.
Why Some People Can’t Gain Weight?
If you can’t gain weight despite being careful about what you eat, one of the reasons may be that you have high muscle mass. In this case, you need to plan your energy intake more carefully.
If you consume as much food as you need but still cannot gain weight, the underlying reasons should also be questioned. This may be a warning of a health problem in your body. Don’t neglect the health check.
What Should I Do to Gain Weight?
If you want to gain weight, you basically need to aim for more energy than you burn. This does not mean overeating every single food. Being organized and disciplined is also important here. If you want to gain weight, you can try to eat frequently.
Your meals can be in the form of 2-3 hours at the most. It will be beneficial to add small-calorie foods such as oil seeds and dried fruits to your snacks.
Another point I should mention is exercise. Weight training that you will do 2-3 times a week will help you increase your muscle volume and gain weight in a healthy way.
What Is The Difference Between Healthy Weight Gain And Obesity?
Healthy weight gain aims to maintain or even improve your current health status.
Accordingly, you aim to increase your weight by adding foods that will be good for your body to your nutrition plan and exercises that will support your muscle gain.
It is a table that we do not want to gain weight with foods that are not beneficial or a diet that does not provide portion control.
Here, you may encounter a situation called lubrication. In such a situation, it is possible to experience unwanted images in your body and abnormalities in your health status.
Which Foods Help With Healthy Weight Gain?
1. Dried Fruits
After fresh fruits are dried, the amount of water they contain decreases. Therefore, their volumes also decrease.
But the energy they contain remains the same. In this way, they become a food with high-calorie values and rich in antioxidants, minerals and vitamins. In weight gain diets, you can consume dry fruits more comfortably.
However, do not ignore the carbohydrate levels in its content. Since they are high-carbohydrate foods, consuming them with a protein food helps to keep your blood sugar in balance.
Unlike other fruits, avocados contain high calories with healthy fats. In this sense, it supports you to gain weight. Approximately one medium avocado contains 200 calories of energy and 16-17 grams of fat.
In addition to all these, it is also rich in vitamins and minerals. You can flavor your salads with avocado and use them in your sandwiches or omelets.
Eggs, one of the main nutrients that are effective in muscle building in the body, contain the highest quality protein after breast milk. It is possible to say that it is also supportive in terms of healthy fats.
We know that consuming whole eggs promotes muscle building more than consuming only the white.
Consumption of 1 egg per day is important for a healthy individual. If you continue your diet for weight gain and do not have any disease, you can be a little more comfortable with the number of eggs. The omelet you will prepare with a few eggs will be very good for breakfast.
Nutritional Advice For Those Who Want To Gain Healthy Weight
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Most of the time, one can skip breakfast to catch up with the pace of life. But if you want to gain weight, breakfast is a must. You can create a nice meal with eggs for breakfast, curd cheese with high protein content, potatoes rich in carbohydrates, and vegetables at the same time. Foods such as tahini-molasses mixture, honey, peanut butter that you will spread on bread will help you provide the energy you need to gain weight.
- Instead of starting your main meals with soup, start with your main meals. If you want to consume salad, you can include foods such as bulgur, walnuts, tahini, and sesame.
- In your weight gain process, you will need to benefit from foods that are small in volume but high in energy. Dry fruits and oil seeds such as raisins, dried figs, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts will support you in this sense.
- You can consume nuts, milk desserts, ice creams and fruit cookies, especially in summer. If you prefer coffee, you can take advantage of coffee with milk, and in your chocolate preferences, you can benefit from dark chocolate with a high cocoa content. In your snack after your evening meal, you can make a fruit salad with honey and walnut pieces on fruit.
- Drinking water during or just before your meals can increase the feeling of satiety in your stomach. This can cause you to consume less calories from other foods. For this reason, it would be a better choice to consume your water at least half an hour before eating. With meals, you can consume beverages that will provide you with energy, such as fruit juice.
Our article on the 10 best vitamin foods you should consume may also catch your attention.