Neotrex capsules are a medicine that is used to treat severe acne (spots) native to Mexico.
This drug, whose active ingredient is isotretinoin, can sometimes cause serious side effects.
Therefore, use this medicine only with the advice of a doctor.
Neotrex capsules start to take effect after a week to 10 days.
If you are just starting to use the medication, your skin may worsen before it starts to improve.
You will have a blood test before you start taking Neotrex and regular blood tests to check for side effects during your treatment.
During treatment, your skin and lips may become very dry and sensitive to sunlight.
Using moisturizers, lip balm, and a high-protection sunscreen can help.
It is very important not to become pregnant for at least 1 month while using and after stopping Neotrex capsules.
This is because the active ingredient in the drug, isotretinoin, can harm an unborn baby.
If you have a chance to become pregnant, you may be given a reminder card.
If you become depressed or think about harming yourself while taking Neotrex, stop taking the medicine and tell your doctor right away.
What Will We Learn?
Who Can Take Neotrex Capsules?
Neotrex capsules are for children and adults with severe acne.
Do not give neotrex capsules to children under 12 years of age or before puberty.
If you have diabetes, talk to your doctor before starting treatment with neotrex capsules.
This medicine may cause elevations in blood sugar.
Therefore, your doctor may monitor you more closely.
Who Cannot Take Neotrex Capsules?
Neotrex capsules are not suitable for some people.
If you have any of the conditions listed below, contact your doctor before using this medicine:
- If you have ever had an allergic reaction to the isotretinoin component, peanut or soy (the capsules contain soybean oil), or any other medicine
- If you have had a mental health condition such as psychosis, depression, aggressive behavior or suicidal thoughts
- If you are trying to have a baby
- You think you may be pregnant, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have liver and kidney disease
- If you have high levels of cholesterol or other fats in your blood
- If you have high levels of vitamin A in your body
- If you have inflammatory bowel disease, including ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
How To Use Neotrex Capsules?
It is important that you take Neotrex capsules as directed by your doctor.
Neotrex comes in 10mg or 20mg soft capsules.
The dosage of Neotrex capsules varies from person to person and depends on your body weight.
The usual starting dose of the drug is 0.5 mg per kilogram of body weight per day (0.5 mg/kg/day).
So if your body weight is 60kg, your dose will usually start at 30mg per day.
You usually take neotrex capsules once or twice a day.
After a few weeks, your doctor may change your neotrex capsule dose.
If your acne is not getting better, your doctor may prescribe a higher dose.
If side effects occur, your doctor may cut or reduce the dose of the drug completely.
If you think your dose is too low or too much, talk to your doctor.
Swallow the capsules in your mouth with a glass of water without chewing.
Take neotrex capsules with food to make sure they work properly.
It is best to take the capsules right after a meal or snack.
A course of treatment of Neotrex capsules usually takes 16 to 24 weeks (approximately 4 to 6 months).
Even if you stop treatment, acne will continue to improve for up to 8 weeks.
Most people will have clear skin after this time, but some are not so lucky and may need an extra treatment.
If you forget to take this medicine, take it as soon as you remember, unless it’s almost time for the next dose.
If it’s time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the usual time.
A double dose should not be taken to make up for the forgotten dose as this can cause serious health problems.
Side Effects Of Neotrex Capsules
Like all medicines, Neotrex capsules can cause side effects, but these side effects do not appear in everyone.
Side effects usually disappear after the use of the drug is stopped.
The side effects listed below may occur with the use of Neotrex capsules:
- Dryness of eyes, nose, lips or skin
- Mild itchy skin problems and rashes
- Dry mouth or dry throat
- Pain in muscles, back or joints
It should be noted that the side effects listed above are not a complete list.
Rare side effects are listed below:
- Bruising and bleeding more easily (signs of a blood clotting disorder)
- Frequent infections, dizziness (signs of blood disorder)
- Anxious and aggressive (signs of depression or other mental health problems)
- Severe stomach pain and feeling sick (signs of a serious problem called pancreatitis)
- Bloody diarrhea (sign of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Difficulty moving your arms or legs, muscle weakness, and painful, swollen or bruised areas of your body or dark urine.
- Yellowing of the whites of your eyes or skin (signs of liver problems).
- Difficulty drinking and feeling very tired (signs of kidney problems)
- Persistent headache and vomiting
- Sudden changes in your night vision
The side effects listed above may be signs of a rare serious condition.
Contact your doctor if you notice any side effects.
Pregnancy And Breastfeeding
Do not take neotrex if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant.
Neotrex should not be used during pregnancy as it may cause birth defects.
If you become pregnant during treatment with neotrex capsules, stop taking the capsules and talk to your doctor as soon as possible.
It is very important that you do not become pregnant while taking neotrex capsules.
You will need to follow some rules to prevent pregnancy as recommended by your doctor during and for 1 month after treatment.
Make sure you use birth control even if you are not sexually active.
You will need to take a pregnancy test before starting neotrex, during treatment (ideally monthly) and 1 month after the end of treatment.
Your doctor will give you information for Neotrex, including a patient reminder card.
Read this card and the information leaflet that comes with your medicine before you start taking Neotrex capsules.
Do not take neotrex capsules while breastfeeding.
The component in the medicine can pass into breast milk and may harm your baby.
Talk to your doctor about medications you can take while breastfeeding.
There is no clear evidence that taking Neotrex capsules reduces fertility in men or women.
However, it is important that you do not take neotrex capsules if you are trying to have a baby or become pregnant.
The ingredient in the medicine may harm a developing baby.
Men And Neotrex Capsules
Men can safely take neotrex capsules if they and their partner are trying to have a baby or if their partner is pregnant.
Neotrex does not seem to harm sperm.
Only small amounts of neotrex can get into the semen.
Some medicines and neotrex capsules can affect each other and make you more likely to have side effects.
If you are using any of the medicines listed below, contact your doctor before using neotrex.
- Tetracycline antibiotics such as oxytetracycline, doxycycline, minocycline, or lymecycline
- Vitamin A or supplements containing vitamin A
- Other acne medications applied to the skin (the combination of both may cause skin irritation)
If you use any other medicine or herbal product other than the ones above, tell your doctor.
Our article on acne treatment may also attract your attention.