Carob is a fruit enjoyed by people of all ages. Especially recently, carob is consumed in many different forms such as molasses, flour and water.
Carob has a sweet taste.
Generally, carob flour and water are also used as a natural source of sweet taste in various usage areas.
Studies show that the sugar content of carob is even higher than that of cane sugar.
Especially recently, carob fruit and its products are used in many new products and recipes.
This medicinal plant is usually consumed raw.
However, there are also different functional products such as carob molasses, carob flour and juice to be used in different areas.
In addition, carob comes to the fore with its benefits, and it is often preferred among the people as one of the natural treatment methods, especially against diseases.
What Will We Learn?
Benefits Of Carob
In addition to lovingly consuming carob fruit, it has many different benefits such as cardiovascular health, bone development, colon health, vitamin and mineral support, and antioxidant content. These can be listed as:
- There are studies showing that LDL cholesterol level decreases when people with high LDL value, which is one of the blood cholesterols and known as bad cholesterol among people, eat carob fruit. Thanks to the polyphenols in it, it has been observed that when people with high total cholesterol consume carob, its values decrease. In addition, thanks to its fiber-rich content, it is known to have effects on reducing arteriosclerosis. In this way, besides being protective against cardiovascular diseases, it has curative effects in the case of cardiovascular disease.
- This herb supports digestive system health. There are studies showing that its antioxidant property supports the repair of the gastric mucosa. In this way, it can be recommended to be used especially in diseases such as stomach ulcers. On the other hand, carob fruit has a protective effect especially on colon health. Thanks to its feature of supporting bowel movements and high fiber content, it can be recommended to be consumed by people suffering from constipation.
- Carob is a fruit rich in minerals such as potassium, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, selenium, and copper. Especially the high potassium and calcium content brings many benefits. For example, it has an important place in the development of bones. On the other hand, thanks to its calcium content, it supports the teeth and positively affects dental health.
- On the other hand, although it is thought to increase blood sugar due to the sugar content in it, its glycemic index is low thanks to its fiber content. At the same time, a substance in it is effective in lowering blood sugar thanks to its supporting feature of the hormone insulin. In this way, the consumption of carob fruit can be recommended in Type 2 diabetes.
- There are some studies showing that carob has positive effects on lung health. Carob fruit, which is especially effective in the respiratory tract, is widely used among people as an expectorant and cough suppressant. At the same time, it is recommended by experts in the field as a natural nutritional supplement against these diseases to the extent that it supports this use. On the other hand, there are studies showing that it can be used against lung diseases such as asthma and bronchitis.
- Carob fruit is known as a product that supports sexual health among people due to its high energy rate. In addition, some studies have shown that the sperm quality of men who consume carob is increased. Thanks to this feature, it is a natural supplement that is often preferred.
- Carob has high antioxidant properties. With the increase of oxidative stress caused by the body for some reasons, there may be undesirable consequences such as chronic diseases, arthritis, old age, and cancer. Thanks to its antioxidant content, carob reduces this oxidative stress and shows protective properties against all these diseases. In addition, some studies show that the vitality of cancer cells decreases thanks to the high antioxidant rate of carob flour. There are studies showing that the antioxidant effect has a positive effect on kidney cells. In this way, it can be said that carob is also beneficial for kidney health.
- Carob has also been shown in studies to have antimicrobial properties. In this way, consuming carob can reduce the symptoms of diarrhea, especially in the case of diarrhea of microbial origin.
Benefits Of Carob Molasses
Carob molasses is one of the most common varieties obtained from the carob fruit.
Since the carob fruit is hard, it is softened by keeping it with water.
The pulp of the fruit, whose seeds are removed and softened, is extracted and cooked to obtain molasses.
The sweet taste in the obtained molasses comes from the natural taste of carob, and extra sugar is usually not added.
Carob molasses is one of the most preferred products among carob products.
The fact that molasses is rich in calcium and iron has positive effects on muscle and bone health.
In this context, the probability of osteoporosis in people who consume carob molasses is lower than those who do not consume it.
At the same time, due to its high iron content, it can be recommended by experts for people suffering from iron deficiency and low blood pressure.
Carob molasses is frequently used by people who have lung diseases, such as its fruit.
Carob molasses is one of the products that are often consumed in the case of cough or as an expectorant among people.
Carob molasses can be preferred by people who need energy due to its high energy source.
However, attention should be paid to the amount of portions consumed in order to benefit.
Consuming it in consultation with an expert in the field for the amount of portion specific to each person is an important step in obtaining the healthiest results.
Benefits Of Carob Juice
Carob fruits are separated and washed. Then, these fruits are crushed and a clean water is added on them.
It is boiled until it’s color darkens and then the fruits are filtered.
The carob juice obtained has a sweet taste and is used in many areas especially to give it a sweet taste.
Carob fruit can be consumed in several varieties such as molasses, flour, and juice.
Carob flour is among the products preferred as a gluten-free energy source, especially by celiac patients.
At the same time, it is frequently used in various products and foods by people who want to lose weight in a healthy way, thanks to its natural sugar content and insulin hormone-supporting feature.
On the other hand, carob juice is generally preferred among the products to be flavored.
The benefits of carob juice are similar to those of carob fruit, especially with its ability to stabilize blood sugar and reduce cholesterol levels.
How Much Should the Daily Carob Consumption Amount Be?
The calorie of 1 raw carob is about 15 calories.
The amount of raw consumption can be recommended as 2-3 pieces per day.
It can be recommended to consume 1-2 tablespoons of carob molasses by people who want to consume it.
In case of iron deficiency, while carob molasses is consumed to increase the absorption rate of iron, it can also be supplemented with natural nutrients from vitamin C sources.
However, if it is desired to support the treatment with carob molasses, especially in case of cough and sputum or lung diseases, the amount to be consumed may vary.
The amount of carob molasses to be consumed should be consulted by a specialist in the field and consumed in recommended amounts.
In summary, carob is preferred more and more because of its natural content, which has many uses with both its benefits and varieties.
In order to see the benefits, attention should be paid to the consumption amounts.
Although it has many benefits, like any food, controlled and measured consumption ensures the highest efficiency from these benefits.
You might also like our article about Jujube Fruit.