Midlife crisis is a psychological disorder that occurs as a result of stress, hormonal changes and changes in some chemicals in the structure of the brain.
The symptoms of a midlife crisis can be listed as making sudden changes, making instinctive decisions, having sleep problems, obsessive attention to appearance, feeling hopeless, alcohol or drug use, apathy towards life, loss of motivation, weight change, and unexplained physical pain.
Middle age syndrome is not seen in everyone, but adults mostly experience this period. Stress plays a huge role in this syndrome.
Midlife syndrome is more common in people with successful careers.
The reason for this is that the person has been under a workload for many years.
With the experience gained, the stress is balanced up to a certain age. Factors such as chronic fatigue, menopause and andropause make stress control difficult.
In addition, children often leave home during this period. Simultaneously, the person witnesses the death of the people they love.
When these intense emotions are combined, the person becomes unable to resist the midlife crisis.
Midlife syndrome can be managed better with psychological counseling service.
Getting the support of a psychologist helps the person to define and accept different emotions more easily.
What Will We Learn?
Symptoms Of A Midlife Crisis
The midlife crisis has some characteristic features. It is possible to evaluate these features under two main headings as emotional changes and exhibited behaviors.
With a midlife crisis, a person feels the urge to pursue a vague dream or an unfounded goal. People who experience this crisis have a deep sense of regret for unrealized goals.
They are afraid of being humiliated by their peers and those they find successful.
People with midlife syndrome want to feel young and want to meet with their peers more often.
These people may show a tendency to exhibit certain behaviors that they have not done before.
For example, they may desire to acquire unusual or expensive items such as motorcycles, boats, sports cars, jewellery, tattoos, and piercings.
They may experience alcohol dependence.
People with midlife crisis tend to feel ashamed of themselves by thinking about their past mistakes.
They try to hide natural processes such as hair loss and wrinkles. In order to look younger, they adopt a new style of clothing and give extreme importance to their appearance.
They want to be in a sexual or professional relationship with people younger than them in order to feel younger.
They want their children to be successful in the academic field, art or sports, and they show extra interest in these subjects.
People experiencing a midlife crisis may find it difficult to maintain daily life.
They may turn to dangerous actions because they find them younger and more exciting.
The effects of the midlife crisis can be reduced by getting the support of a psychologist.
At What Age Does Middle Age Syndrome Begin?
Midlife syndrome usually begins at the age of 35 in women and 40 in men.
If we need to evaluate this syndrome as a process, it can be said that it is a disorder covering the age range of 40-60 years.
Approximately 15% of adults experience midlife syndrome. Midlife syndrome can last 2-5 years in women and 3-10 years in men.
A midlife crisis can be caused by aging, or it can occur with critical changes in a person’s life.
Triggers such as the physical changes that occur with aging, the inability to cope with professional life or the absence of this life, the inability to resolve conflicts in bilateral relations or the absence of this relationship, the growth or absence of children, and parental death make middle-age syndrome difficult.
Midlife syndrome affects men and women differently.
In addition, the triggering effects may vary according to the genders.
Midlife syndrome can cause depression.
Creating a sleep pattern, reviewing eating habits, diversifying social life with hobbies and travels can be good for a midlife crisis.
When the individual feels that he is overwhelmed and cannot evaluate his feelings, he should receive psychological support.
Midlife Crisis In Women
Not all women experience midlife syndrome in the same way.
The majority of women face midlife syndrome after the age of 35.
The 40s are a period when an individual’s life becomes stagnant and professional and social life begins to slow down.
For this reason, the middle age period includes many different emotions and these emotions are often in conflict.
Since a temporary process is mentioned, the period is called the midlife crisis.
Women may be more emotional than men. This emotional structure makes it difficult to overcome midlife syndrome.
Although not every woman shows the same symptoms, the confusion of emotions is common.
The individual begins to question his life and feel intense regret for the actions he has done and not done.
She often gives up on the thought that she is late for life and the actions she wants to take.
She finds herself too old for what they want to do.
In some women, sexual reluctance can be seen with middle age syndrome.
He does not like himself because the changes in his body make him unhappy, he thinks that he will not be liked. Some women take the opposite attitude.
He may want to be with people younger than himself to give the message that he is young and beautiful.
With aging, metabolism slows down and weight gain occurs. The graying and loss of hair becomes more frequent. Cracks and sagging can be seen on the body.
At such times, many women may turn to anti-aging treatments.
Different clothing styles can be adopted. Midlife syndrome is the time period in which divorces are most common.
When the person is in conflict with himself and his environment, he should receive psychological support.
Midlife Crisis In Men
The 40s are defined as middle age. At this age, men begin to experience hormonal and psychological changes.
In midlife syndrome, men experience emotions such as anger, disappointment, hopelessness, and resentment.
Middle age syndrome in men manifests itself with some symptoms.
The most common symptoms are the desire for rejuvenation, increased interest in personal care and appearance, dyeing hair, hair transplantation, following fashion, trying to prove oneself, being more energetic, acquiring new hobbies, decreased sexual desire and being angry at frequent intervals.
The person may exhibit some behaviors that he has not done before, such as riding a motorcycle, being interested in extreme sports, getting tattoos, using piercings.
He can make groups of young friends from himself.
At such times, the people around him should be understanding and patient.
Because men who feel that youth is a thing of the past get angry with this situation and may show angry outbursts on irrelevant issues.
When the person realizes that his/her behavior is not accepted, he/she may stubbornly diversify his/her behavior negatively, also with the effect of middle age syndrome.
In addition to the psychological changes experienced, there is an intense hormonal change.
The decrease in male hormone group androgen and testosterone depending on this hormone causes changes in the body of the person.
So, how long does midlife syndrome last in men? This syndrome, which occurs after the age of 40, is most evident in the age range of 45-50 years.
The midlife crisis, which lasts for an average of 3 years, can last up to 10 years.
The psychology of the individual may be affected due to the decrease in testosterone level in men between the ages of 39-70.
Middle age syndrome can cause negative effects on family life and social life. In order not to damage the relations, it is recommended to get the support of a psychologist.
The middle age syndrome can be overcome in a healthy way by getting psychological counseling and participating in various therapies with the advice of a psychologist.
Signs He Is Coming Out Of Midlife Crisis
- Declining interest in young girls: With this psychological problem, the person sometimes wants to hang out with girls younger than himself. The decrease and complete disappearance of this desire may be one of the signs that you are coming out of the midlife crisis.
- Your obsession with losing weight begins to subside: In this syndrome, age-related weight gain causes you to become obsessed. Over time, such obsessions will disappear. The disappearance of these obsessions means a decrease in midlife syndrome crises.
- Not spending most of your time in places where young people hang out: Another effect of the syndrome is that middle-aged people spend their time in places where young people hang out. There is nothing bad here but in some cases one can overdo it. Over time, such requests begin to decrease.
- Your desire to buy a motorcycle or sports car decreases: Everyone wants to buy a sports car, but middle-aged people with this syndrome are more interested in such requests. As the effects of the syndrome diminish, such requests also decrease.
- Decreased oddball cravings: Less inclination to crazes you’ve never done before, such as earrings, piercings, and tattoos
- A decrease in the desire to dye or have hair transplanted: Some people may exhibit behaviors such as hair dyeing or hair transplant due to the effects of this syndrome. These problems disappear with the reduction of the effects of the syndrome.
- Your desire to chase your dreams will decrease: With the effect of the syndrome, your desire to quit work and chase your dreams increases. Over time, these demands decrease.
- Your desire to do things that you could not do in the past will decrease: With this syndrome, you can try to do things that you could not do in the past, within a year. Then these requests will start to decrease.
- Your thoughts like “I can’t take time for myself” will decrease.
- There will be a noticeable decrease in your efforts to put what you cannot do on your children’s shoulders.
- Your tendency to cheat on your spouse decreases geometrically.
- Another symptom of the decrease in the effect of the syndrome is that you stop chasing magic formulas that increase sexual power.
If the person has started to return to the state before this syndrome, it may mean that this period is over.
Midlife crisis is a psychological disorder that can happen to most people.
This situation corrects itself over time. If you are having difficulty coping with this situation, you may want to consider seeking professional help.
You can read this article to learn about pneumonia.